Chris Powell specialises in road transport law and motoring defence. He advises and represents haulage and PSV operator licence holders and drivers on all road transport regulatory matters. He regularly appears at Public Inquiry and Driver Conduct Hearings before the Traffic Commissioner in every Traffic Region.
He works very closely with clients during DVSA (VOSA) investigations, and works hard to ensure his clients get the best outcome possible. He regularly attends and advises clients during interviews under caution conducted by both the DVSA and the police.
He appears regularly at the Magistrates’ Courts across England and Wales and has extensive experience defending transport and motoring clients on a wide range of matters, including tachograph, drivers hours, false records, and overloading offences.
Chris has particular experience acting for large European hauliers and transport undertakings on cross border matters. He specialises in challenging civil penalties and LEZ penalties and responding to urgent vehicle seizure matters.
Chris is a well respected solicitor in the wider transport industry, and has written articles for numerous trade publications including: Commercial Motor, Coach and Bus Week, Transport Operator and Transport Engineer to name a few.
Qualifications & Experience
Chris qualified from Sheffield University with a First Class degree and received a Distinction on his Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School. He completed his training contract in April 2016 at a large multi-disciplinary firm. He joined Rothera Sharp in June 2019.
The Lace Market
Transport & Regulatory
Areas of Specialism
- Traffic Commissioner Public Inquiries
- DVSA and police investigations and interviews
- Driver Conduct Hearings
- Operator licence regulatory compliance
- Tachograph and drivers’ hours offences
- Vehicle impounding hearings
- Operator licence applications and variations
- Challenging London Low Emission Zone penalties
- Customs / HMRC / Border Force vehicle seizures
- Challenging civil penalties for clandestine entrants (migrant penalties)
Magistrates Court Advocacy
- Tachograph and drivers hours offences
- False records
- Exceptional hardship arguments
- Special reasons arguments
- All other motoring defence matters
"We would just like to say a big thank you for the speedy, professional, conduct of Chris Powell and his team with our recent Public Inquiry. We felt that he listened to our concerns and gave advice and instruction accordingly. We were very happy with the work he put into the case and his ability and professional conduct on the day."
John and Angela Martin, JEM Transport Ltd