Lasting Powers of Attorney
A Lasting Power of Attorney is a document in which you give legal authority to people you trust so they can handle your affairs if you lose capacity to make decisions for yourself.
There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney. A Property Decisions power covers decisions about your money and property, such as paying your bills or selling your home. A Health Decisions power covers decisions about your daily care routine, treatment, and other aspects of your personal life such as where you are going to live.
Our fees are:
£420 (incl. VAT) for creating and registering each lasting Power of Attorney
£240 (incl. VAT) for creating each Lasting Power of Attorney
£180 (incl. VAT) for registering each Lasting Power of Attorney
Stages of process:
- An initial meeting to take your instructions
- Drafting your Lasting Power of Attorney and sending it to you for your approval
- Assisting you in appointing a person you trust to make decisions on your behalf
- Provide confirmation that you have the appropriate capacity to make the Lasting Power of Attorney
- Registering the Lasting Power of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian
Our fees include:
- Drafting your Lasting Power of Attorney
- Providing advice on how, who and how many people to appoint as your attorney
- Advice and guidance about replacement attorneys
- Guidance on how to sign the documents
- Advice on the duties of your attorneys
- Acting as your Certificate Provider, confirming your capacity to complete a Lasting Power of Attorney, and that you are not under duress to do so
- Advice regarding the disclosure of your Will to your attorneys and the release of your Lasting Power of Attorney from our safe custody, including providing a letter of authority if appropriate
- Completing registration of the Lasting Power of Attorney with the Office of the Public Guardian
- Secure storage of your Lasting Power of Attorney at our offices
Our fees do not include:
- Dealing with capacity issues
- Costs related to chasing attorneys to sign documentation/re-sending documents if incorrectly signed or witnessed
The fees for our service can vary depending on a number of factors including:
- Availability of attorneys to sign documents
- Urgency surrounding completion of the Lasting Powers of Attorney
Typically it takes between 4 and 6 weeks to complete the Lasting Power of Attorney and a further 3 months to register, depending on the workload of the Office of the Public Guardian.
If you would like further information or wish to receive advice, contact us now for a free consultation, completely without obligation. Call our Wills, Probate & Trusts lawyers on 0800 088 6280 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Listed below are the profiles of our Wills, Probate & Trusts team where you can find out more about their experience and qualifications. The team member assigned to your case will vary depending on your location and the complexity of your case.