Immigration Law

Our specialist Immigration Solicitors at Rothera Sharp can provide advice and guidance on a number of immigration matters for both Individuals and for Businesses (including Landlords) – call today for free initial advice on 0800 088 6280.

If you wish to make an application for entry clearance for your partner/spouse or your business requires the skills of an employee from overseas, we can help you.  Our expertise covers a wide range of services, enabling us to advise you on a variety of situations, including:

  • Individuals wanting to study in the UK.
  • Family members wanting to bring a husband/wife/partner over to the UK.
  • Applications for a UK visa from Pakistan (Pakistan visa) or India (India visa).
  • Business applications for sponsorship to employ someone from outside the UK.

Our Immigration Department is on hand to support you every step of the way and will provide quality legal advice and will work with you to ensure your immigration queries are fully resolved.

Immigration for Individuals

We are often contacted by individuals who say that they want to provide sponsorship for a relative or friend to visit the UK. However, people are not often aware that if the relative or friend is then granted leave to enter the UK on a permanents basis, they will be responsible for his/her maintenance, their accommodation and care in the UK for a period of five years from the date of their entry into the UK. A visitor visa would more likely be the better option in such circumstances. It is not always clear which is the best path to take to enter the UK, but our Immigration Department is here to make the process as simple as possible to help you whatever your circumstances.

Our immigration services for Individuals include:

  • Standard visitor visa– This has replaced the Family Visitor visa; General Visitor visa; Child Visitor visa; Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists; Sports visitor visa; Entertainer Visitor visa; Prospective Entrepreneur visa; Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa and Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa.
  • SET(M) ApplicationsFor indefinite leave to remain in the UK as a partner of a person present and settled in the UK.
  • SET(O) Applications– This allows you to live and work in the UK without restrictions on your length of stay, giving you access to benefits including medical care, education and a pathway to British citizenship.
  • Entry clearance visa (paper and online)- This is the procedure used by Entry Clearance Officers overseas to check before a person arrives in the UK that they qualify under Immigration Rules. This can include entry clearance as a spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner.

Business Immigration

We can offer help and advice in this complex and ever changing area.   This process used to be known as applying for a Work Permit.  If you wish to make a Work Permit Application, you have to comply with the requirements of the Immigration Rules under the Points Based System.  This is dealt with under various Tiers as follows:

  • Entrepreneur Visas (Tier 1) – You can apply for this visa if you want to set up or run a business in the UK, you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you meet the other eligibility requirements, including having access to at least £50,000 investment funds to apply.
  • Investor Visas (Tier 1) – You canapply for this visa if you want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK, you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland and you meet the other specific eligibility requirements.
  • Tier 2 General Visas – For skilled workers – You can apply for this visa if you’ve been offered a skilled job in the UK and you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. However, you need to be employed by a licensed sponsor to apply to live in the UK.
  • Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer Visas – A Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer Visa (ICT) allows a candidate to transfer to the UK from an overseas branch of a UK company in order to undertake work on a specific project.
  • Tier 4 general student visas -This type of visa is required where you have been offered a place on a course in the UK, can speak, read, write and understand English and you have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course
  • Landlords – We can also assist Landlords with Landlord right to rent checks.

Immigration Law Solicitors – further advice

For further information on how our Immigration Law Solicitors can assist you please call Rothera Sharp on 0800 088 6280 or email

In this Section