Specialist legal representation at Traffic Commissioner’s Public Inquiry
At Rothera Sharp, our transport solicitors specialise in representing operator licence holders at Public Inquiry hearings with the Traffic Commissioner. We have years of experience in this niche area of regulation. We provide a nationwide service and regularly represent operators at hearings in all Traffic Areas including:
The Traffic Commissioner has the power to revoke, suspend or curtail an operator’s licence. They can also disqualify individuals from holding an operator’s licence in the future. This can have a devastating impact on any transport business. Instructing a specialist transport solicitor at an early stage is essential.
We offer free initial consultations and fixed fees. Speak to a transport lawyer today on 0115 9106218 for a confidential consultation or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Reasons to be called to Public Inquiry
There are many reasons a transport business may be called to Public Inquiry with the Traffic Commissioner. Some of the more common reasons include:
- Maintenance and roadworthiness failings
- Drivers hours and tachograph infringements
- Loss of good repute and criminal convictions
- Environmental concerns
- Lack of financial standing
- Change of business entity
- Undeclared material changes to the business
- Unauthorised change of operating centre of maintenance provider
- Transport Manager failings
A hearing with the Traffic Commissioner will usually follow a DVSA roadside stop or compliance investigation. You can find more information about DVSA investigations and interviews here.
The Traffic Commissioner can summon an existing operator licence holder to Public Inquiry. They can also call an Inquiry to consider a new application for an operator’s licence, or to consider objections from local residents.
How our Public Inquiry team can help
In most cases, immediate and effective action at an early stage can dramatically improve a transport operator’s chances of a successful outcome.
Once instructed our Public Inquiry solicitors act quickly. We will:
- Review all the evidence and allegations and give tailored, specialist advice
- Liaise with the DVSA and Office of the Traffic Commissioner and submit written representations if appropriate
- Work to repair any compliance failings identified
- Advise on any additional information and documentation that should be sought
- Represent at the Public Inquiry, present the evidence and make legal submissions
At Rothera Sharp we understand how stressful court proceedings of this kind are. Even a positive outcome at Inquiry can still result in considerable reputational damage. Our Public Inquiry lawyers leave no stone unturned to fight for the best outcome possible for our clients.
Our transport clients
Our Public Inquiry lawyers have decades of experience representing operators from across the transport industry. Our clients include:
Goods vehicle (HGV) operator licence holders
- General haulage
- Multinational logistics
- Owner operators
- Scaffolding services
- Waste management
- International freight
- Deliveries and removals
- Courier services
Passenger transport (PSV) operator licence holders
- Bus and coach operators
- Minibus operators
- Tour operators
- Registered bus service providers
- S19 and s22 permit holders
In addition to Public Inquiries, we also represent operators at Preliminary Hearings and Senior Team Leader Interviews.
Our other specialisms include:
- Representation at Driver Conduct Hearings
- Operator licence applications and variations
- Challenging clandestine entrant penalties
- Vehicle Impounding hearings
- Motoring defence
- Civil litigation and contractual disputes
For a complete list of our services, click here.
Speak to a transport solicitor today on 0115 9106218 for a free initial consultation.